Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The coat of many kittens.

Once upon a time, there was an overweight, asthmatic 7th grader. Well, thats every 7th


grader now-days, but back in my day, that was a bit of an oddity. I went to a small school in a


small town. I was already 5'8 and towered above just about everyone except for a 6' girl named


Rachel Ledmeyer. I wore the same Eeyore hoodie ever day of my life... this should say volumes


about how awesome I was. Rachelle Tedmeyer was also a big girl, and she danced ballet, and


always showed her 'dancers calves' to anyone who'd look. And in ageless playground tradition


she got made fun of, a lot. And in ageless I-went-to-a-school-surrounded- by-cornfields-and-yet-


here-I-am-writing-a-book tradition, I too got made of, a lot. The difference between Rachelle


Tedmeyer and I was that she did not have a big mouth. It might have been because she had a


bigger brain. Various kids ranging from jocks to... All we had was jocks, and later a lot of


pregnant chicks, but now just jocks. Followed her 6' frame around the halls making Chewbaca


noises and calling her the Yeti. She wasn't that hairy and I'm pretty sure she had never been to


the Himalayas, let alone lived with indigenous wildlife in subzero temperatures, but alas, I


defended her. We had each others backs in the way that only true outcasts can, buy standing up


for one another, but never actually associating.



One day, the Yeti and I were headed off to lunch. Now, let me preface this buy asking you a


few questions 1. Have you ever been fat? 2. If you answered yes to number one, ya know that


gap in the back of your jeans when you sit down? Its not an obscene gap, but it's there. That


one? Yeah well I got pop poured down it while eating lunch with the Yeti. I was sitting there


eating what was probably pizza because it's only digestible thing we had at school, and I felt it. I


sat up and turned around to face Josh Noore, some douche bag wannabe skater, who I had


never talked to EVER for more than five minutes. He had bleached hair, and his skin was red all


over punctuating his now smiling blue eyes. I was astonished. I didn't know what to do. I think he


said something about how he was just joking, and I, crying at this point, probably spat a few


choice words out.



The Yeti walked me out of the lunchroom and into the hallway repeatedly asking if I wanted


her to go to the office with me to call my mom. I was livid and definitely not calling my mom so


she let me borrow her jacket to wrap around my waist. Which would've been really sweet and all


if she didn't (unbeknownst to me at this point) happen own a hoard of cats. Cats that I was, and


still am, severely allergic to.



I was sitting in math class when my eyes started to water and itch. Not just like oh, my eyes


are tired and itchy, like oh my God, do you have a spoon for gauging? itchy. My nose also


started to run like I myself couldn't. And then... I felt that distinct, this is a big one, breath


shortage. This wasn't a 'Oh where's my inhaler?' asthma attack. This was 'Oh is that an


ambulance?' asthma attack. I can't think of anything that triggered it. I wasn't in a dire, fight or


flight situation in the past few hours. Flight had always been the known route of handling the pop


down the pants situation. I hadn't ran into any chain smokers in the bathroom, and I hadn't had


any physical exertion in a good half hour. However, while contemplating raising my hand for


medical assistance, I looked down and saw hundreds HUNDREDS of little, tiny, cat hairs. I


suddenly found myself in math class wearing a coat of kittens, which sound awesome. It isn't. I


figured if I got the coat off I would maybe feel better. So I got up to go to the bathroom and gave


Rachel her coat back in study hall, wet pants be damned. I handed it to her and asked if she


perhaps, maybe, possibly owned a cat. She enthusiastically replied that she had 'ohmygosh,


like 12'. And a few minutes of agonizing breathlessness later, I was on the phone to mom


attempting to relay my epic story of defeat between baited breaths.

0 comments:

Post a Comment